Swine Influenza Outbreak

The place for all things not aviation.

Moderator: Moderating Team

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Swine Influenza Outbreak

Post by FJ flyer » 27 Apr 2009, 07:51

World moves to contain flu spread
Governments around the world have been hurrying to contain the spread of a new swine flu virus after outbreaks were reported in Mexico, the US and Canada.

At least 100 people are now suspected to have died of the disease in Mexico.

The UN has warned the virus has the potential to become a pandemic, but said the world was better prepared than ever to deal with the threat.

Stocks of anti-viral medicines are being readied and travellers are being screened at some airports for symptoms.

Mexican Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova said suspected swine flu cases in his country had risen to 1,614 including 103 deaths.

Of those, 20 deaths are confirmed to have been caused by the new virus.

The US, where 20 people are confirmed to have caught the virus, has declared a public health emergency.

There are also confirmed cases in Canada, and investigations are being carried out on suspected cases in Spain, Israel and New Zealand.

In most cases outside Mexico, people have been only mildly ill and have made a full recovery.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8019882.stm

The US has decleared an emergency.
New Zealand is in "Code Yellow". A number of people have reported that they were on NZ1 from LAX and have Flu-like symptoms including flight attendants.

On a personal note, my Dad was on the NZ1 flight although a day after the students from Mexico. Also, one of my friends was on that same flight.

Scary scary stuff. On a positive side, New Zealand has 1.25 million doses of Tamiflu, enough for 1 in 5 people.
Enigma Simulations | Texture Artist and Aircraft Designer
Click my banner to see my paints via Avsim.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Re: Swine Influenza Outbreak

Post by Dennis » 27 Apr 2009, 11:40

Tamiflu does bring some relief, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will prevent the disease completely. What's interesting (and dangerous) about this virus is that it contains traits of avian flu, human flu, and swine flu. In other words, it's a completely new strain that's mutated into a more powerful one.

Luckily, the suspected case in PR has been dismissed so there's no threat here...YET!

Didn't New Zealand dismiss some of the cases since they were confirmed not to be swine flu?
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 27 Apr 2009, 14:32

Oh boy, this thing is already looking like a global pandemic. It's here in New York as we speak. :|
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 27 Apr 2009, 16:13

It's a global pandemic if people act as it is. The disease is mainly concentrated in Mexico. True, new cases have been confirmed in the US, Canada, and Spain (reported one just this morning. EU are warning citizens not to travel to the North America unless they really have to), but it's not widespread yet. In other words, until the virus hits a big area and infects many people, there's no need to make a big deal out of it, except try to contain it. Smallpox and other potentially lethal diseases are another different story.
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 27 Apr 2009, 20:32

Dennis wrote:Didn't New Zealand dismiss some of the cases since they were confirmed not to be swine flu?
10 people have got Influenza A, they are awaiting Swine Flu results from Melbourne, but people say it's quite likely they would have H1N1.
3 seperate people got neghative results for Influenza A after having Swine Flu symptoms.

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 27 Apr 2009, 21:46

Dennis wrote:..but it's not widespread yet. In other words, until the virus hits a big area and infects many people, there's no need to make a big deal out of it, except try to contain it.
It's already here in New York, the most populous city in the United States, with 18,815,988 people living here in total as of 2007 (and it's probably risen in the last two years). And people have already died from the flu, so yes, it is not something to be overly concerned about, but it deserves a lot of attention, as this thing is lethal.

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 27 Apr 2009, 22:06

Oh, and watching the news now, the flu is now in Canada, Spain, France, Israel, New Zealand (though not confirmed as Fraser mentioned), and there are now 28 confirmed cases in one school in New York.

So far in Mexico City, 149 DEATHS alone. In only a few days!!!!!

This thing is starting to get kind of scary.

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 28 Apr 2009, 04:59

And scarely enough I have been doing lavs these last couple days and some of the RJ's went down to Cali and back. :shock:

Although in good news I'll be about 3000 miles away from it when I am in Hawaii on Sunday :mrgreen:
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 28 Apr 2009, 11:29

Swine flu has been confirmed in New Zealand with three cases returning positive results. Health scientists in Melbourne have come to the conclusion that all eleven cases from Rangitoto College have H1N1 based of the three strongest samples, along with other strong evidence.

Health officials are saying the teenagers who travelled to Mexico are recovering with good signs. Tamiflu has been administered to all suspected cases of Swine Flu in New Zealand from our 1.25 million stocks.

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 29 Apr 2009, 20:52

First confirmed death in the United States.

http://news.aol.com/article/swine-flu-o ... k%2F452130

This is more than a small thing, and this is way bigger than SARS.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 30 Apr 2009, 11:40

Actually, SARS is still bigger. This thing is just starting, and it hasn't produced enough deaths to actually be considered worse than the SARS pandemic, which spread to basically every continent except Africa.

alma343
Pilot

Post by alma343 » 01 May 2009, 15:52

Happened in Switzerland (translated)
Let the contagion danger be minim, said the Aargauer canton physician Martin Roth on inquiry of the news agency SDA. The situation had not changed.

The young man had been sent based on a misunderstanding home on Wednesday. Few hours later it became again hospitalisiert after a positive test result of the national center for influenza in Geneva.

Contact persons are treated with Tamiflu

The man himself is in good health and is released in the course of the next days definitively out of the hospital how KSB speaker Stefan Wey held on inquiry. At this time no contagion danger would exist more.

After the erroneous release of the patient out of the KSB on Wednesday 13 persons had been identified, who had had with it contact. They are treated and must remain like 11 cooperating of the KSB as a precaution with Tamiflu at home.

After its vacation, the young man had flown over Philadelphia into Switzerland at the past Saturday of Mexico. Because fever had appeared, it had searched for the family doctor. After arrangement with the canton physician, the patient was isolated on that in the KSB

G-BOAD
Pilot

Post by G-BOAD » 01 May 2009, 16:45

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_05_01/en/index.html

Cause for concern, but hardly the apocalypse hyped by the media. Every year tens of thousands die from influenza. Swine flu: 10 so far.
--Jeff

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 01 May 2009, 19:10

However, most people who die of the flu are old and unfit, but swine flu attacks young and fit people just as badly. At the moment the threat may be very low, although the number of infected people will grow exponentially so that in a few months a large number of people will be effected (if it doesn't die down before then). The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 killed ~50 million people, so let's hope that this flu can be contained.

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 01 May 2009, 23:36

Four cases confirmed in NZ.
One of my friend's family went into quarantine a couple of days ago, fortunately they were cleared on Swine Flu yesterday. :P

We hda a big debate in our Social Studies class today, some people in my class just can't admit that there might be another Pandemic on our hands. It kinda annoys me, it's like they don't care about people getting horribly sick or even dying in Mexico.

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 02 May 2009, 09:34

Well honestly it is getting blown out of proportion from what I have seen and heard.
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

NWADC9
Pilot

Post by NWADC9 » 02 May 2009, 19:44

seahawks7757 wrote:Well honestly it is getting blown out of proportion from what I have seen and heard.
Mmhmm.

What's so special about this thing? The "common" flu kills a lot of people worldwide every year, and it can be caught the same way!

Oh, and those surgical masks are stupid; they have no use with the way the virus is spread. Not only that, but do you see the whole population of the world wearing masks all winter long? :roll: