Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /misc/20/334/450/285/9/user/web/simairline.net/messageboards/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
SimAirline.net - Message Boards • View topic - SimAirline.net Farewell Event - Report & Pictures!

It is currently 30 Apr 2017, 04:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SimAirline.net Farewell Event - Report & Pictures!
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2010, 00:07 
Management/Moderator

Hello Everyone!

For those of you who were unable to attend the Farewell Tour & Dinner in New York City last weekend, we have pictures and details for you!

I suppose I should give a little bit of background. After months of planning, research and hundreds of emails back and forth trying to get people to attend the event, those of us who could finally arrived Friday.

Aaron Robinson, Whit Roberts, Kyle Bjorklund, Stephen Wismark, David Velez and myself were in attendance.
A few others backed out last minute and were missed!

Most of the crew had arrived in time Friday to have dinner together, although I was unable to come because I had to spend at least a few hours with my family, but I'm told it was a good time.

The next morning we all met at the hotel and made our way over to the Airliners International Convention, which if you've never been is absolutely worth going to if you're into airlines and collectables. I love going and can never leave without picking up a few choice souvenirs. The convention consists of a large ballroom or hall with hundreds of tables where exhibitors can display merchandise, models and collectables. If you can even remotely imagine it, trust me, they have it. Everything from paper cups from some Finnish airline to large scale models of the British Airways 747. It's definitely a sight to see.

We spent several hours exploring and buying some new toys before having lunch and heading into NYC.
(For the record I bought an American Airlines captain's hat, they didn't have Northwest, sadly, several safety cards I was missing and a KLM 747 1/200 model for only $5! What a score!)

The… how do we put this nicely… adventure… on New York's lovely public transportation system from Newark, NJ to LaGuardia is definitely worth doing at least once if just for the experience. I promise you haven't travelled like this before or with people who can manage to use the S-word in literally every sentence. It's always a good time in New York.

After an hour and a half, we made it out to LaGuardia where Aaron had generously arranged a tour of the ramp and Delta facilities. How cool is that? It blew away my expectations by a million. We were briefly security checked before making our way through a secret door and into the baggage claim hall's inner sanctions. A tour of the operations offices where all the under-wing action takes place and a quick trip across the ramp brought us to the bag room.

I can tell you it's a miracle you ever see your bag again, or moreover, it's a testament to the fantastic employees that work for Delta. (I really can't stress that enough, I was amazed to see the spirit of family and good times among the employees, they really were just having a great time doing what they love. Inspiring.)
This is a room, that for those of you who've ever watched (and if you were me, it was your favorite scene) Toy Story 2, where Woody and the gang tangle with the wrong toys in the airport's baggage system. This is very similar, except on a smaller scale given that Delta only has 10 gates at this terminal. A maze of conveyer belts, carts and guys chucking bags sort of dazes you. And then you see the computerized map showing the system status. Impressive if I do say so myself.

Back onto the ramp for an up-close and personal tour of a beautiful Delta MD-88 headed to Atlanta, a CRJ-900 going to… somewhere and an A319 that had just arrived. Working the ramp is a lot harder than you expect it to be, it's complicated and systematic, with many things happening at the same time. Good stuff, very enjoyable.

Next we toured the Delta Ramp Tower, where Delta's employees monitor and control aircraft on their ramp, dealing with things like delays to gate coordination and flight operations. Again, a great team of people up top and a fantastic view from the roof of the terminal.

Downstairs and into the Delta van for a drive across the airport to visit the Marine Air Terminal, LaGuardia's oldest and possibly, most famous feature. This terminal was built in the late 1930s to support Pan American's flying boat operation. Today it is rather quiet, with only Delta Shuttle flying into and out of the terminal. Sad because it was once a beautiful and very important piece of aviation history. Now almost empty and forgotten.

I can't explain every detail, you can look at the pictures for that but it was an amazing tour. I've always wanted to be on the other side of the jetway or other side of the glass and this was a fantastic opportunity to do that and meet some of the wonderful Delta family. Thank you to Aaron and the Delta employees for making that happen!

Now getting later in the day, we headed back into the city to meet up with David Velez who unfortunately was unable to come on the tour with us as he had to work but he met us at my favorite Italian place for dinner.

Excellent food as always and a great place for conversation among some very interesting people. After dinner we piled into David's car and drove back to the hotel where Aaron gave a behind the scenes tour of SimAirline.net's daily operations, something even I had never seen and was fascinated by. The work that went into this site is just ridiculous. A big thanks to Aaron and Ali for putting some much effort into making SimAirline.net what it was. Thank you!

I unfortunately had to leave as I had a 6am flight back to Iowa, just in time to make the last theatrical production of my cousin/sister, which overall was terrible but she was cute so worth spending the day exhausted.

A fantastic trip, amazing tour and I hope we can do it again someday. Next year's convention is in Portland so who knows…? SimAirline.net tour 2011?

Pictures are available here, credits to myself and Whit Roberts: http://gallery.me.com/naviation#100442& ... &view=grid

Post subject: Re: SimAirline.net Farewell Event - Report & Pictures!
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2010, 00:42 

I was just about to ask about this today!

Sounds like a great time, wish I could have been there and gone on yet another tour with Aaron. :) Have always wanted to make it up a ramp control tower, so that's pretty cool.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2010, 02:49 
Management

It's a shame that I missed you guys by a few mere hours on the last day! Nice report Nick!

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2010, 16:36 
Administrator

Thanks for sharing, Nick.

Wish I could be there, but maybe next time, hopefully.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2010, 22:01 
Management/Moderator

Let's thank the UPR student strike for this...I missed it. Last week I was still finishing my second semester. As a matter of fact, my last final exam was yesterday.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys had a great time, and when my second part of my research stipend arrives, I'll set aside around $500 in order to leave those funds untouched. I'm going to Portland no matter what. I still have plenty of time to gather some funds and who knows if I end up going? This time I'll be 21 years old so I can rent a car and a hotel room without any buts...

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2010, 01:15 
Management/Moderator

Dennis wrote:
Let's thank the UPR student strike for this...I missed it. Last week I was still finishing my second semester. As a matter of fact, my last final exam was yesterday.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys had a great time, and when my second part of my research stipend arrives, I'll set aside around $500 in order to leave those funds untouched. I'm going to Portland no matter what. I still have plenty of time to gather some funds and who knows if I end up going? This time I'll be 21 years old so I can rent a car and a hotel room without any buts...

We missed you Dennis!

Good luck renting a car until you're 25. Sucks.
Hotels have not been a problem for me since I turned 18 back in the day. They never ask.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2010, 14:57 
Management/Moderator

Quote:

Well, unless Oregon has regulations where only people of 25+ years of age can rent car, I might be able to do somethings, though at a little fee. :roll:

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2010, 21:53 

Dennis wrote:
Quote:

Well, unless Oregon has regulations where only people of 25+ years of age can rent car, I might be able to do somethings, though at a little fee. :roll:

Yup, you can do rentals with just about any company anywhere, as long as you pay a fee that's usually about $25/day.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2010, 00:22 
Pilot

I beleive the extra fee is because of insurance, Until you hit 25 you are considered
a high risk driver. I hoping to go to Portland next year and if I do I will be driving
down from Edmonton in our mini van. It is only about a 15 hr drive.

Nick nice job on the pics from our trip. I went through the ones I took and it looks like we took
prety much the same shots so I won't bother sending any of mine. It was great meeting you and I realy enjoyed watching the vidio you made of what you do. I hope to see you in Portland next year.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2010, 00:26 
Pilot

I should be able to make PDX next year as it is just a fwe hours drive from here. I look forward to meeting some of you guy's next year.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2010, 17:34 
Pilot

Northwestdc9 wrote:
Dennis wrote:

We missed you Dennis!

Hotels have not been a problem for me since I turned 18 back in the day. They never ask.

On a recent visit to the US I rented a car (Dodge Charger), no problems at all...

Anyway, seems you had a great visit! Pitty I was in NY just a month too soon! :(