Microsoft Flight Simulator's Future In Question

Post and discuss the latest happenings in the flight simulator world.

Moderator: Moderating Team

DMM200
Management

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator's Future In Question

Post by DMM200 » 29 Jan 2009, 00:22

I bought my FS9 copy this past August on Amazon, and there are still plenty of people who are selling legal, packaged, and unopened copies of FS9. Try looking on sites like Shopzilla and Amazon.

On another note, with no more FS9 disks being produced, do you think it may turn into some sort of black market product, where people are selling illegal copies of FS?
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

APeX3181
Pilot

Post by APeX3181 » 29 Jan 2009, 05:59

I can't remember if FS9 had some online activation. If it did, I can imagine it being extremely difficult to reinstall it in the years to come.

FSInsider just posted a farewell message saying that they "....will continue to produce, sell, and support the latest version of Flight Simulator" meaning FSX. And who knows for how long?

Also, can we change the title of this thread? Any future version of MSFS has been officially axed.

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 29 Jan 2009, 07:00

APeX3181 wrote:I can't remember if FS9 had some online activation. If it did, I can imagine it being extremely difficult to reinstall it in the years to come.
It didn't.
APeX3181 wrote:Also, can we change the title of this thread? Any future version of MSFS has been officially axed.
We still don't know if the ACES crew will still make a flight simulator and possibly sell under Microsoft. The only thing we know is that they've been axed.
Enigma Simulations | Texture Artist and Aircraft Designer
Click my banner to see my paints via Avsim.

NG Driver
Pilot

Post by NG Driver » 30 Jan 2009, 20:25

It is an end of an era. There is no longer a team working on Flight Simulator, ESP, or Train Simulator. Microsoft still owns the IP but it seems certain that at this point there will be no more Flight Simulator from Microsoft.

http://www.futuregpu.org/2009/01/end-of ... s-and.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... ws_ts_head" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of you might remember me from a while back, I used to fly a lot for SimAirline and had a short run in management. Once my daughter was born I was not able to devote the time to FS that I felt I needed to in order to enjoy it. I still fly from time to time but who knows what the Flight Simulation world will be like when I can fly for SimAirline again?

Some of you may or may not know I also work for Microsoft and I have for 10 years now. I've never been on the ACES team or worked on Flight Simulator but I have been to the ACES team development offices and I've met some of the developers and had lunch with one of the Project Managers. I was able to play test FSX before it was released at the internal labs. It was a great experience and I will always remember it fondly. I am truly shocked that FS is gone, but I'm still employed for the time being and looking forward to someone picking up the pieces and keeping FS alive. Perhaps it will happen, perhaps it won't. I don't know, but I'll always love Flight Simulator.

I'm a little disturbed by some of the comments in this thread...how some people can simultaneously bash Microsoft and lament about the loss of Flight Simulator is beyond me, but I'm used to the bandwagon haters and the target that Microsoft has had on its back for years. So to those people I would ask that you forgive me for not believing that you are sincere about the loss of FS and the end of this era. Enjoy your XBOX, I will always love my PC with Flight Simulator and a yoke and pedals to fly my desk with.
Don Geddes

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 30 Jan 2009, 22:31

While I do agree that it is the end of an era, I am not yet convinced that Microsoft is going to write off the franchise. The last thing I heard from the folks over at Redmond is that they weren't even sure what direction they were going to go with it. Some comments were made about Live, and if that is where they end up deciding to go with it, then it truly will be unfortunate. It's not that I don't like Live, I think it's a great idea for some games. I just think that Live will end up hurting the franchise more than it would help. They'll end up making it more of a game than a simulator.

So far they have said that they will continue to support FSX, so we'll have to see what they mean by that.

APeX3181
Pilot

Post by APeX3181 » 31 Jan 2009, 06:31

I'm a little disturbed by some of the comments in this thread...how some people can simultaneously bash Microsoft and lament about the loss of Flight Simulator is beyond me, but I'm used to the bandwagon haters and the target that Microsoft has had on its back for years.
I don't think anyone can deny Microsoft the credit it deserves for basically creating the flight simulation industry. And just looking back at all the versions that have been released, the MS team has truly left a lasting legacy. Yes, the sim had its performance issues and glitches here and there, but comparing version 1 with FSX, it's undeniable that Microsoft is responsible for evolving FS into the most realistic sim ever made that no one else has been able to duplicate.

However I think people have been left with a bad taste in their mouths after Microsoft's farewell message a few days ago. Between implying that the franchise could possibly move to a LIVE or xBox platform (which I'm sure everyone knows would eventually kill it altogether...at least for most of us and the add on community) and saying they would continue supporting FSX (even though the entire team who built it has been let go), I think some of us feel MS is not completely sincere when they say "...we remain committed to the Flight Simulator franchise for the long term."

I really hope they do not abandon the franchise and that once the economy rebounds, they open the ACES studio again AND continue to develop FS for the PC.

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 06 Feb 2009, 15:38

Well, there may be a ray of hope. I found out yesterday that the non-compete I signed with my previous employer was nullified when I was laid off in December. Odds are that if the folks at ACES had to sign non-competes, they have been nullified as well.

APeX3181
Pilot

Post by APeX3181 » 06 Feb 2009, 17:22

Did you work for Microsoft, or another company?

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 06 Feb 2009, 18:13

Me? No, I worked for a company that manufactures and sells natural dietary supplements.

caps1237

Post by caps1237 » 06 Feb 2009, 21:12

RatherBFlyin wrote:Well, there may be a ray of hope. I found out yesterday that the non-compete I signed with my previous employer was nullified when I was laid off in December. Odds are that if the folks at ACES had to sign non-competes, they have been nullified as well.
Yeh I was going to say earlier...wouldn't those non-competes become invalid if the contract was terminated? Good news to hear.
Private Pilot - Single Engine Land

APeX3181
Pilot

Post by APeX3181 » 07 Feb 2009, 02:32

I was under the impression those non-competes were signed when they were laid off. Maybe I've got it backwards. But if they're void now, the best thing they could do is go into business for themselves.

Still, it might be more difficult than it seems to go from working on a code you know inside and out to creating an entire new program from scratch. But I'm sure the folks from ACES could pull it off.

Ryan
Pilot

Post by Ryan » 10 Feb 2009, 22:09

I don't understand what everyone is bickering about Microsoft said they'll continue the series.
Future releases
The development of a future release in the franchise was confirmed by a Microsoft spokesperson in 2008. However, on 22 January 2009 it was reported that development team behind the current releases, who were developing the next release in franchise, was being heavily affected by Microsoft's ongoing job cuts with indications that the entire Microsoft Flight Simulator team was being made redundant. Microsoft later confirmed this and stated they are committed to the Flight Simulator franchise, and expected to continue to release products in the series, but had nothing specific to announce at that time.
Maybe now they'll fix some of the bugs that have plagued the series generation after generation for example the blurries and my personal favorite the sudden wind shifts.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 10 Feb 2009, 22:49

No, they said they're committed to the series, but fall short of describing how. For all we know, FS could be released for Xbox, not exactly the kind of game/simulator I'm looking for.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

Ryan
Pilot

Post by Ryan » 10 Feb 2009, 23:44

Let us not jump the gun here they'll never make an FS for Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii it would never work. How would they fit everything on one controller?

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 10 Feb 2009, 23:53

Yes, Microsoft has said that they are committed to the franchise, but as of yet have not spelled out in what form any future releases will come. At the same time they also stressed their commitment to the Live platform. Putting two and two together seems to indicate that if Microsoft puts out another version of FS, it is likely to be a more "gamey" version geared towards people who play Live games. If they go that route, they will probably have to cut out most of what makes FS a simulator.

I sincerely hope that is not the case, but that's how the winds seem to be blowing for now. We just have to wait and see what Microsoft's next move will be.

DMM200
Management

Post by DMM200 » 11 Feb 2009, 02:36

Well, if they do go that route for FS, what do you think will happen to all of the other simulators that ACES develops? For example, they also develop Train Simulator and Combat Simulator, both very popular as well.

And if they do wind up putting FS on a platform console, they will most likely destroy the add-on industry (unless they make some sort of way to put the scenery on the 360 through a CD, just like you can do with your music).
Thanks Fraser Jeffery for the beautiful avatar!
Check out the latest SimAirline.net news in Viewpoint

FJ flyer
Management/Moderator

Post by FJ flyer » 11 Feb 2009, 03:16

Some people on POSKY are saying that they are starting a new simulation product yet to be announced.
Enigma Simulations | Texture Artist and Aircraft Designer
Click my banner to see my paints via Avsim.

Delta320
Pilot

Post by Delta320 » 11 Feb 2009, 03:36

Ryan wrote:Let us not jump the gun here they'll never make an FS for Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii it would never work. How would they fit everything on one controller?
That would be soooo bad.
Huge thanks to David Malinowski for this amazing banner!

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 11 Feb 2009, 04:54

The 360 actually already has a crowd of people developing their own content for it, including games, so that won't be a problem as far as addons are concerned. The only good thing I can think of if FS is released for a console (like the 360) is that everyone will be able to play the game right out of the box without having to worry about performance since it will be optimized for use on the console. I have also heard of people plugging 360 controllers into their computers and using them for FS. I don't think I would be able to do it without a keyboard and joystick though. Old habits die hard. :P

As for TS and CS, AFAIK Microsoft has not said anything specifically about them yet. My biggest fear right now is that Microsoft will make the next iteration of FS into a Game instead of a Simulator.

Ryan
Pilot

Post by Ryan » 11 Feb 2009, 05:10

Delta320 wrote:
Ryan wrote:Let us not jump the gun here they'll never make an FS for Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii it would never work. How would they fit everything on one controller?
That would be soooo bad.
I know it would be so BAD that no word in the english dictionary can even begain to describe it (sounds like something right up Microsofts alley.) :laugh: