Real Environment Xtreme for fs9

Post and discuss the latest happenings in the flight simulator world.

Moderator: Moderating Team

Carlo
Pilot

Re: Real Environment Xtreme for fs9

Post by Carlo » 14 Dec 2009, 20:01

Anuj wrote:
sanins192 wrote:What is the water like, Nick? From the pictures it looks very good, although I'd like to know how it looks with animation in the sim. Also, is it time to get rid of ActiveSky, or are you using it with the textures from REX?
I found the water to be nice. I'll give you a more detailed post about it tomorrow. The REX weather engine is crap!!! ASV6.5 is waayy better. Doesn't update as often and doesn't have nearly as many features as ActiveSky has.

Seconded. The weather engine isn't very good, plus it's really really slow, both to load and to 'preview' in the REX 'weather radar'.

Does anybody know if Ultimate Water is compatible with REX? The one problem I can imagine happening, is REX water textures overwriting the Ultimate Water ones, whenever I install a new texture set.

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 14 Dec 2009, 20:48

There only files after all, so I'm guessing that you can just mix and match. I don't know how REX works, but if it's just like ActiveSky where you can update the textures once, I see no problem with changing the water.

seahawks7757
Pilot

Post by seahawks7757 » 14 Dec 2009, 21:13

Bought it last night and loving it. Here is a preview shot I got http://www.flickr.com/photos/13497349@N ... 5/sizes/o/
Click on the banner above to get to my Flickr Account!

Anuj
Pilot

Post by Anuj » 15 Dec 2009, 04:28

Oh, I forgot to mention the clouds are so detailed and have no FPS impact. In REX settings, I have the changed the cloud resolution to 512X512 from 1024X1024(HD) and still they are very detailed.
SAVE INDIA'S TIGERS!!
www.saveourtigers.com
My PC : Asus P5Q Motherboard | Intel C2D E8400 3GHz | 3GB OCZ DDR2 RAM | MSI ATi 4850 1GB OC Edition | 250GB SATA | Windows XP Pro SP3 | FS2004 |

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 15 Dec 2009, 05:19

Haven't had a chance to look at the water yet, liked the one I had too but we'll see.

You have the option of unchecking any textures you don't want and then can supply your own.

I'm not sure about their weather engine yet, I found the turbulence to be a welcome addition from ASv6 but have not had a chance to really test it in detail.

Plan to do extensive flight testing later this week after finals.
Anuj wrote:Oh, I forgot to mention the clouds are so detailed and have no FPS impact. In REX settings, I have the changed the cloud resolution to 512X512 from 1024X1024(HD) and still they are very detailed.
Right, under heavy cloud cover the HD textures hit me pretty hard, though that is likely from all the layers, with 512x512 it looks the same with no noticeable hit.

Priced out building another new machine to go full HD, etc, the last for FS9 and likely my last PC, as I will probably not upgrade past FS9. (With XP of course)
Was just about $1,500. Probably not worth a slight improvement at this time, not with everything else I need to pay for right now. (stupid car)
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

Carlo
Pilot

Post by Carlo » 15 Dec 2009, 14:25

Northwestdc9 wrote:Haven't had a chance to look at the water yet, liked the one I had too but we'll see.

You have the option of unchecking any textures you don't want and then can supply your own.

I'm not sure about their weather engine yet, I found the turbulence to be a welcome addition from ASv6 but have not had a chance to really test it in detail.

Ah yes I remember, the turbulence was well implemented, however REX doesn't simulate wake turbulence or wind shear, which are quite common with AS.

I must have missed that texture installation/skip option. That's good news.

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 17 Dec 2009, 02:29

After some more testing today, I decided to use the REX weather engine, at least for right now because of it's superior turbulence simulation. While true that ASv6 does replicate wake turbulence and sheer, it does so in a very unrealistic and annoying way.

Going to play with the textures a little bit more to find a set I really like but so far this is really an amazing add-on.

Highly recommended, A+.

Carlo
Pilot

Post by Carlo » 18 Dec 2009, 15:36

Does the REX weather engine actually replicate wind shear and wake turbulence then?

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 18 Dec 2009, 18:03

Not that I can tell but it does a much better job of simulating real world type turbulence. Or small dips and bumps that ASv6 doesn't.
Much more realistic.

a.trailblazer7
Pilot

Post by a.trailblazer7 » 28 Dec 2009, 14:32

OK, got REX and FSPassengers for Christmas and trying them both out today on a flight fr Houston to Honolulu. Was testing it out last night in Seattle, and I tell ya...the sky and water, to see the waves...GREAT!! The only thing is I have scenery for Houston (KIAH) and my taxi ways are sky blue, making some of my airplanes at the wings and engines blend in and look kinda crazy. If I look overhead on spot view, everything is great. Guess have to play w/till get it right. Other than that, all good
Much thanks to Fraser J. for making a great banner!!

a.trailblazer7
Pilot

Post by a.trailblazer7 » 28 Dec 2009, 17:11

Is anybosy else using REX now and having a problem w/weather map loading? I keep getting 'mapping webservice not available internet connection required'....I am on line though. Tried turning it off and restarting, still no map
Much thanks to Fraser J. for making a great banner!!

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 28 Dec 2009, 22:50

a.trailblazer7 wrote:Is anybosy else using REX now and having a problem w/weather map loading? I keep getting 'mapping webservice not available internet connection required'....I am on line though. Tried turning it off and restarting, still no map
Happens to me occasionally, usually when I'm on the ground. Goes in and out. Annoying but I don't use the map anyway.

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Post by sanins192 » 28 Dec 2009, 23:14

I got REX working on Christmas and was very impressed with it! The water is a lot better than I had expected it to be, and I like the range of options for wave animations and ocean colour. I've heard a lot of complaints about the time it takes to load the textures, but that doesn't bother me; if I'm going to fly an 8 hour flight I don't mind waiting 5 minutes to load textures into the sim. It has a very nice interface, but I think I may stick with ActiveSky for RW weather.

From what I've heard I thought there would be a narrow difference between HD textures and 512, although I found there to be a quite a big difference looks-wise. Up close 512 looks very blocky. I have my clouds on 1024, and it only effects me under heavy cloud cover when I'm flying straight through it. My reasoning is that I only have to fly through the clouds twice on a flight, and if I don't spin around in spot view when passing through this layer, I'll be OK for keeping the textures in HD.

I now need to work out the best visiblity settings. I like my horizon soft and blended between the sky and ground, and I've been playing around in AS, FSUIPC and REX to try and get that balance between soft horizons and a thick blanket of fog. There is a really nice addon at Avsim that produces soft horizons, but it replaces a whole set of sky textures so it will not work well with REX.