How does AI work

We can help getting more planes in your sky.

Moderator: Moderating Team

Garyck
Pilot

How does AI work

Post by Garyck » 10 Aug 2009, 09:45

Please excuse my naivety but I was wondering how AI traffic works, I've downloaded and installed Delta, AA, Frontier, US Airways, Virgin America, Southwest, Continetal and a few other US carrier packages from World of AI, Its nice to see my airports now with a nice mix of airlines instead of the default ones.

But whats happens next? Do these aircraft actually the route real flights or is it just show?

Gary

Samuel Arnold
Management

Re: How does AI work

Post by Samuel Arnold » 10 Aug 2009, 10:26

Okay, basically AI is either your friend or foe.
They make the Sim feel more realistic, it gives added interest to your flights, fills the skies with a whole variety of aircraft.
However, they slow down your computer (unless its super-powerful) and create delays and collisions.
Watch out for traffic swarms - the Sim gets confused upon reload and puts up to 200 aircraft in one point of the sky.

How it works:
FS has a module which tells the aircraft how to behave. It reads the individual airline traffic file as the reference for aircraft, location, flightplan, altitude and times.

When you download (for example) KLM WoAI package, the WoAI installer puts four elements in their place:
1. Flightplan.txt (this has the flight data for each flight operated by KLM)
2. Airports.txt (this contains data about the airports used by KLM)
3. Aircraft.txt (this links the traffic package to the "[fltsim.x]" title in the Aircraft.cfg)
4. The aircraft and their liveries (these are all the AI planes in your main Aircraft folder)

The three .txt files are compiled into one .bgl file (TTools does this job for the WoAI installer).
This is placed in Scenery/World/Scenery directory and is read by the Traffic module.

In answer to your question:
Yes, AI replicates all flights and aircraft operated by the respective airline, and it flies at the correct time (relative to GMT time zone).
Packages are of course always out-dating as an airline adds new routes, or changes something. Your AI traffic won't reflect this unless WoAI creates an update.

Try it, get in the Sim, set up your flight from an electronic timetable (say, Continental) and set all the times according to it. Once at the airport, you should have an AI counterpart doing the same thing.

Anyone feel free to elaborate or correct.
|| Signature banner by Fraser Jeffery ||
Samuel Arnold | Virtual Airline Manager - ANA Virtual, Varig Virtual
samuel.arnold@simairline.net | AIM: SamArnold960

Garyck
Pilot

Post by Garyck » 10 Aug 2009, 12:18

Samuel Arnold wrote:However, they slow down your computer (unless its super-powerful) and create delays and collisions.
Watch out for traffic swarms - the Sim gets confused upon reload and puts up to 200 aircraft in one point of the sky.
As yet I haven't noticed any change, But all I did was load up all the files and then see what different airfields looked like with the New Traffic I.E DFW, OKC etc with me parked at the gate, then pushed back and taxied around the airfield.

I'll go for a test flight later on and see how the pc reacts.

The problem that I'll give myself now is where do I stop. i.e I've loaded up Major US carriers, as I do a many flights within the US but some of my flights I fly to MAN (Home base). Manchester has Flybe, Jet2, British Ariways, BMI, Singapore, Emirates, Ethiad, Monarch, Continental, US Airways plus more.

The last thing I want to do is stall the PC and to jam everything up. FSX is a Very hungry Monkey with my CPU already often wotking at 100%, without it giving more work.
(I'm not even sure what spec my Desktop is) I know I can't have the bars all the way across, so some are set at mid high or even customer settings. Sometimes when I fly with real world weather the clouds become square instead of fluffy and the buildings end up being big lines up into the sky. (Sorry for the thread drift)

Gary

Garyck
Pilot

Post by Garyck » 10 Aug 2009, 13:49

Samuel Arnold wrote: Try it, get in the Sim, set up your flight from an electronic timetable (say, Continental) and set all the times according to it. Once at the airport, you should have an AI counterpart doing the same thing.
How will that work if i'm trying to fly a route that AI is also flying, we'll both have the same call sign and may be given different info by ATC :?

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 10 Aug 2009, 14:12

AI can make things much more realistic, but it can also create huge delays for you if you aren't careful. Before I started flying online I would use AI traffic, and there were times when I spent an hour or more in line waiting to takeoff while the default ATC tried to bring six or seven aircraft in to land on the same runway at the same time. That TTools utility for FS9 definitely came in handy, since it let me delete AI aircraft that were causing unnecessary delays.

G-BOAD
Pilot

Post by G-BOAD » 10 Aug 2009, 15:22

I set my traffic level to around 50% (even lower for FSX), which can help make traffic manageable at large airports.
--Jeff

Samuel Arnold
Management

Post by Samuel Arnold » 10 Aug 2009, 20:25

If you're worried that your AI will overload your Sim, reduce the percentage.
I have mine a 100%, but my AI is important to me. :)

I have every WoAI package, and 50 of my own (550 airlines). It makes for very full airports and skies.

If you have AI going on the same route as you, the callsigns would be the same, but when ATC call you, the text is green (rather than yellow for the AI) and this is how you differentiate.
|| Signature banner by Fraser Jeffery ||
Samuel Arnold | Virtual Airline Manager - ANA Virtual, Varig Virtual
samuel.arnold@simairline.net | AIM: SamArnold960