New Active Sky release

For all non-SimAirline.net FS flying and add-on recommendations.

Moderator: Moderating Team

RatherBFlyin

New Active Sky release

Post by RatherBFlyin » 27 Feb 2010, 22:27

For those of you who use Active Sky, HiFiSim has released a new version of their AS product line called Active Sky Evolution (ASE). Like Active Sky Advanced (ASA), it will work with both FS9 and FSX, and they are actually offering it as a free upgrade to ASA for a limited time. I just upgraded and should be doing a flight later today to try it out.

A quick heads-up regarding installation. It apparently installs on top of ASA, and does not appear in the installed programs list because of this. However, I was able to confirm that I am now able to run both ASA and ASE (I did not attempt running both simultaneously), so I now have two weather program options (though they are both getting data from the same place, so it really isn't a form of redundancy). One last note: make sure you have your ASA key handy, since ASE will ask for the key again when you run it for the first time. I thought I had mine safely stored, but could not locate it. Thankfully a quick email to HiFi's support folks provided my key again, and I am all set.

http://www2.hifisim.com/node/1044

sanins192
Management/Moderator

Re: New Active Sky release

Post by sanins192 » 28 Feb 2010, 16:56

The interface looks a lot more like REX's WASys (which is a good thing). Will there be a noticeable difference within the sim, or is it just another version of AS with a better interface and a more complex options list for people who like to fine tune their weather?

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 28 Feb 2010, 18:57

I have done a few non-SimAirline flights with ASE, and visually speaking there isn't much difference. I wasn't really expecting to see much of a difference either, since most of what was described on HiFi's site dealt with the inner workings of the software. The options that can be adjusted are much the same as they are in ASA, and at least one of the biggest flaws of ASA is still present in ASE (if you use the ASE direct wind control in FSX, default ATC will assign an arrival runway based on the winds at cruise altitude instead of the winds at the destination airport, turning DWC off means that sudden changes in wind direction and/or speed at cruise altitudes are much more common).

So far I haven't seen anything truly outstanding, but as a free upgrade to ASA it is certainly worth it. If you don't have any Active Sky products, I would highly recommend it. If you are using AS6, it may be worth it to upgrade but perhaps not overwhelmingly so.

Northwestdc9
Management/Moderator

Post by Northwestdc9 » 01 Mar 2010, 04:25

Interesting! We just bought ASA for work, we're using it on a research project for Rockwell Collins, and this might be a welcome addon!
Cool!!!!!
Aviation Research Engineer - University of Iowa

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 06 Mar 2010, 06:27

Well, I can say one thing is really nice about ASE: Thunderstorms at night. Just flew into Melbourne, Australia at night with thunderstorms in the vicinity of the airport, and the light show was fantastic. I'm not sure how much of it was stock FSX lightning, and how much was ASE, but it looked great.