POSKY/FFX Aircraft Installation problems

Problems getting an aircraft to work? We can help.

Moderator: Moderating Team

BlueOx79
Pilot

POSKY/FFX Aircraft Installation problems

Post by BlueOx79 » 16 Nov 2009, 21:52

I am having problems installing into FSX pretty much any POSKY aircraft, specifically any Delta 752 I have tried, and the large tri-motors. I have tried the KLM MD-11 and the Varig and AOM DC-10's from this VA. I have been through the tutorial extensively and got a Delta 764 to load into the sim but am still having problems with everything else.
Chris Settle #188

RatherBFlyin

Re: Aircraft Installation problems

Post by RatherBFlyin » 17 Nov 2009, 06:15

If you don't mind, could you please provide the steps (in as much detail as possible) you follow to convert an FS9 aircraft for use in FSX? We might be able to spot something minor that you may be missing or doing incorrectly. I have a number of POSKY aircraft installed and flying fine in FSX, so I'm sure we can get you up and running soon.

Dennis
Management/Moderator

Post by Dennis » 17 Nov 2009, 12:15

You might also want to read our tutorial.
^^Courtesy of Fraser Jeffery. To SimAirline.net. It's been a blast!^^
*Click on the banner for the latest on Viewpoint, the official SimAirline.net blog*

BlueOx79
Pilot

Post by BlueOx79 » 18 Nov 2009, 02:33

I installed the aircraft per the instructions in the readme file. Then tested. When they didn't appear I went into the aircraft.cfg file and messed with the ui_ lines, as suggested in the tutorial. When they still didn't appear I added an FSX approved panel and sounds I pulled from flightsim.com.
Chris Settle #188

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 18 Nov 2009, 06:13

Ok. So far that sounds good. Exactly which aircraft are you trying to get working in FSX? I'll give it a try myself and see what happens.

BlueOx79
Pilot

Post by BlueOx79 » 18 Nov 2009, 16:35

The Varig current livery DC-10 on the Varig fleet page.
Chris Settle #188

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 18 Nov 2009, 21:51

I'll give it a try and see if I can get it working in FSX, then let you know exactly what I did.

BlueOx79
Pilot

Post by BlueOx79 » 18 Nov 2009, 22:10

Thanks for your help.
Chris Settle #188

RatherBFlyin

Post by RatherBFlyin » 18 Nov 2009, 23:26

Ok. I was able to get the FFX DC-10 model working in FSX, but it took a little while (because I was stupid).

Here's what I did (sorry if I go over stuff you already know):

1) Downloaded both model and textures from SimAirline.net and unzipped them. Moved texture file into aircraft folder and copied fltsim info into aircraft.cfg file. This is how I edited the fltsim info for the Varig textures. You can copy and replace what you have already, or just edit as necessary. Up to you.

Code: Select all

[fltsim.2]
title=SGA Varig NOC McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30 (PP-VMB)
sim=SGA1030
model=30
panel=
sound=
texture=varig_noc
kb_checklists=DC10CL
kb_reference=
atc_airline=Varig
atc_flight_number=103
atc_id=PP-VMB
atc_heavy=1
ui_manufacturer=McDonnell Douglas
ui_type=DC-10-30
ui_variation=Varig NOC
ui_typerole=Commercial Airliner
ui_createdby=FFX
atc_parking_types=GATE, RAMP
atc_parking_codes=VRG
visual_damage=1
description=The Series 30 offered considerably improved payload and range capability with increased fuel capacity and thrust, which necessitated an increase of 10 feet in wingspan and the addition of a center main landing gear assembly.  Most popular of all the variants, a total of 206 Series 30s were built, including 27 -30CFs, 4 extended range -30ERs, and 12 pure freighter -30Fs.  Unlike the Series 10, most -30s were ordered without the optional lower deck galley to allowed increased cargo capacity. First revenue flight for a Series 30ER was on December 15, 1972 with Swissair. The Series 30CF (Convertible Freighter) was first certified in March 1973 and placed into revenue service in April 1973.
A few things you need to verify every time you add textures to an existing model. First, make sure the "sim=," "model=," and "texture=" fields are pointing to the correct files/folders. I have tried to add textures to models before and found one or more of these incorrect. "sim=" should have the name of the .air file in the aircraft folder (without the .air extension). "model=" will only have something listed if the model folder(s) is named "model.X" and whatever is after the "." in the folder name should be listed after the "=" in the cfg file. "texture=" should have whatever is after the "." in the name of the folder with the textures you want to use on that aircraft. Finally, make sure the fltsim sections in the cfg file are numbered sequentially, starting at 0. In this case, the Varig section is fltsim.2, since the model comes with two textures already (United and Fed-Ex).

I added the "ui_typerole=" and "ui_createdby=" fields to each fltsim section just to be uniform. Those two fields are not strictly necessary, but help you make full use of the sorting feature in the FSX aircraft selection screen. I always add them in if they are missing, but its really up to you. The aircraft should work fine without them.

2) The model came with a sound.cfg file that was aliased to the default FS9 B737_400 aircraft. I changed that to alias to the default FSX B737_800 aircraft.

3) The model came with a panel.cfg file that was aliased to the default FS9 B737_400 aircraft. A two-engine panel just won't cut it with the DC-10 (well, it would, but you would never know what is going on with the number three engine), so I changed it to alias to the default FSX b747_400 panel. Yes, the panel has an extra set of engine instruments that don't show anything, but for a quick and dirty installation, it gets the job done. If you have a panel that you know is FSX compatible, you can use that instead. I always use default panels initially to make sure the aircraft is going to work, then I go find more realistic panels. Flightsim has a couple three engine panels, but I haven't tried any of them so I don't know how good they are.

If nothing there works, then it may take some extra digging to find out why the aircraft isn't appearing.

BlueOx79
Pilot

Post by BlueOx79 » 19 Nov 2009, 22:44

It worked like a charm. Thank you.
Chris Settle #188

Aaron Robinson
Administrator

Post by Aaron Robinson » 20 Nov 2009, 00:28

Chris,

In the future, please post a more descriptive subject line. "Aircraft Installation problems" helps, but given that it's in the Aircraft support section, perhaps half of the topics could easily have that title. I've edited yours for you. Thank you.
Aaron Robinson | Managing Director and Owner
aaron.robinson@simairline.net | AIM: SimAirlineNet
Read the latest SimAirline.net news and updates at Viewpoint
SimAirline.net on Facebook and LinkedIn