Manual Engine Starts

Problems getting an aircraft to work? We can help.

Moderator: Moderating Team

sherwyn
Pilot

Manual Engine Starts

Post by sherwyn » 02 Oct 2009, 18:29

I used to start up the engines for the default 744 but I've forgotten how to do it. Does anyone know how to manually start the engines for the default 744. I already know about CTRL+E but that's an automatic start. Cheers!

Sherwyn

RatherBFlyin

Re: Manual Engine Starts

Post by RatherBFlyin » 02 Oct 2009, 19:02

It is a two step process (sometimes three, but usually two) to start an engine on the default 747.

On the overhead panel (Shift+5 if it isn't visible), there are 4 engine start switches. More knobs that you pull out, really. For the engine you want to start, click on the corresponding switch. It should pop out and you can see the N1 speed start to increase slowly. Once the N1 value for the engine is between 2.5 and 3.0, flip the fuel control switch for that engine from Cutoff to Run. The fuel control switch is found on the throttle pedestal (Shift+4).

At this point the N1 and EGT readings for the engine should increase rapidly, then fluctuate some before stabilizing. Once they stabilize, check that the engine start switch on the overhead panel has retracted. If it hasn't, click it again. Repeat the process for the remaining engines.